Doing business is expensive these days, and knowing what financial assistance is available is important. There are federal incentives to help defer the costs of adding a blender pump, and depending on your location, there may also be state and local funding available as well.


Rural Energy For America Program Grants

**The current grant funding has EXPIRED. This program has been around for three years, stay tuned for the next round of funding.**


The Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) offers grant and guaranteed loan funding for eligible rural businesses to assist with the cost of purchasing and installing flexible fuel pumps for mid-range ethanol blends (including E85).

USDA Rural Development is seeking applications via the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP). The program purpose is to fund renewable energy systems and energy efficiency improvements. Eligible applicants include rural small businesses and agricultural producers. Flexible fuel pumps remain among the list of renewable energy projects which are eligible for REAP Funding.

  • Grant requests can be made for up to 25% of total eligible project costs.
  • Grant/guaranteed loan combination requests can be made for up to 75% of total eligible project costs, typically 25% grant, 50% loan guarantee request.
  • Guaranteed loan only requests can be made for up to 75% of total eligible project costs.
  • Feasibility study requests can be made for up to 25% of total feasibility study costs up to a maximum of a $50,000 request. An independent third party must perform the feasibility study.

If you are a Rural Small Business or Agricultural Producer that is contemplating the feasibility or installation of the flexible fuel pumps, please contact your local Rural Development representative as noted below to explore their feasibility study and equipment installation programs.

Application deadline is April 30th EXTENDED to May 31, 2013 for: Grant Applications to install technology, Grant/Loan Combination Applications to install technology, & Feasibility Study Grants.

Application deadline is July 15th for: Loan Guarantee Applications


BYO Ethanol to offer grant writing services through Sage Project Consultants to station owners for USDA REAP Flexible Fuel Pump Installations

For the second year, the Blend Your Own (BYO) Ethanol Campaign, a partnership between the American Coalition for Ethanol (ACE) and the Renewable Fuels Association (RFA), is offering to offset costs associated with grant writing fees for these projects.  The projects are designed for retail fuel station owners seeking assistance with the purchase and installation of renewable fuels infrastructure equipment through the USDA Rural Energy for America Program (REAP). 

In FY2011, Sage wrote and helped submit a total of 21 USDA REAP applications representing 15 different states that successfully secured $1.3 million in total funding.  For the 2013 funding cycle, we are poised to help retail fuel station owners across the country prepare and submit competitive applications to USDA that represent 25% of their eligible project costs associated with the purchase and installation of new blender pumps.

The deadline (April 30, 2013 May 31, 2013) is rapidly approaching to submit grants for this year’s funding, so please act quickly if you are interested in taking advantage of this program!  Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 605-728-5303 for more information and to discuss your project.

FY2013 USDA REAP Applicant Checklist

Sage Project Consultants has developed a checklist by which to obtain information from applicants in support of your USDA REAP application.

Applicant checklist (pdf)

If interested in applying for this grant opportunity:

1.    E-mail or call Sage Project Consultants to discuss your project

For assistance with completing the additional required forms and preparing an official USDA REAP application, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 605-728-5303.

2.    Download and complete the Applicant Checklist and return to Sage Project Consultants by e-mail as soon as possible.

3. Get a jumpstart on the application bygetting a D-U-N-S number and registration:

Required Registrations:

  • A D-U-N-S number is required for all applicants.  It is a unique 9-digit identification number issued for each physical location of your business.  To search for or request a D-U-N-S number go to:  
  • Registration with is also required for all applicants.  SAM, or the System for Award Management, is a free website that consolidates the capabilities in CCR/FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS.  Go to and select “Create User Account” to register in SAM.  If you had previously registered with CCR, select “Search Record” to verify your DUNS and CAGE Code. 
  • If you need assistance please contact Sage Project Consultants.



USDA-Rural Development State Office or Rural Energy Coordinator



For determining site eligibility for this program click here.



For determining business size to qualify for federal benefits, tax credits and regulatory relief click here.



To locate a Wayne distributor click here or to locate a Gilbarco distributor click here.

For a full press release click here or for a copy of the USDA REAP brochure click here.

Copyright © 2019 BYO - Blend Your Own Ethanol. All Rights Reserved.

Designed and developed by cLeer creative